Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Chronicle of Magazine Covers (1) 18th Century

My trip yesterday to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in nearby Manhattan inspired this and what will be a series of posts. There was an exhibition, more or less a collage, of the magazine photography of contemporary sports figures that immediately reminded me of the wealth of graphic Americana that I've been collecting for the last thirty years. The images have been sitting on my hard drive, ostensibly for use in a "magnum opus" magazine history book yet to be written. I thought I'd start to share them with you.

Ergo, here is a fantastic documentary panoply of magazine cover illustration that I shall present chronologically. Within it you will find the evolution of printing technology and design that it one of my particular fascinations within the heretofore uptapped wealth of information that lies within (and here, on the cover of ) American periodicals. Very few captions are necessary. The art speaks for itself. Enjoy the show!

The Eighteenth Century:






No comments: