Monday, February 9, 2009

My latest acquisition: An exceedingly rare 1829 magazine: Frances Harriet Whipple Green McDougall

I just received this today from one of my favorite book dealers, Willis Monie of Cooperstown, New York. Over the years Will has come up with quite a few unique and interesting items for myself and other collectors. This one was found on his on-line catalog for $125(http://www.bookfinder.com/ is by far the most comprehensive bookfinding site).

This literary venture of the Rhode Island abolitionist Frances Harriet Whipple, later married twice, adding Green McDougall, is cited in the only comprehensive biographical work about her http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:xEiPKhgSCc4J:www.jump.co.za/product/a-rhode-island-original-frances-harriet-whipple-green-mcdougall-6805176.htm+FRANCIS+HARRIETT+WHIPPLE+ORIGINAL+1829&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
yet does not appear in the Union List of Serials, anywhere on the internet or in Jayne K. Kribbs' wonderful and extremely comprehensive reference American Literary Periodicals 1741-1850. A testimony to how rare and ephemeral early American magazines are. I don't know how long it lasted but, for all intents and purposes you are looking at the only one of its kind in existence (by the way, no one has called me on my $100 offer and solved the mystery of The Titan and the most comprehensibe holding of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Southern Methodist University, has never heard of her appearance there).
I must confess, though, that I haven't read the book and have no idea how the author knew of the existence of this magazine. Here's FHWGM's Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Harriet_Whipple_Green_McDougall
I have a dozen or so "unknown" magazines. Here's a few of the early ones. You will not find them anywhere else. Now digitially rescued from perpetual anonymity for your viewing pleasure.


Damn, how I love old and rare magazines! Today, for the first time, over 100 people visited my blog, I guess some other people love them too.








No comments: